Translate

Sunday, August 03, 2008

Smiling: The Four Seasons

The door flings open and Scats hands reach for my neck, grabbing my collar and thrusting me into the far wall. In a normal situation I would have fought back and ended the situation in a stand still. "HOW COULD YOU BETRAY ME!?" His hands grab me again and he chucks me through the coffee table. "Betray you? What the fuck you talking about?" He grabs hold of me and steadies his anger."You received his call without me, behind my back!You BETRAYED me! Of all people!" He throws my body into the near wall. I slide down. "I was told that only I could take the call." I get up and punch Scats smack in the gut. With his body bent over I leaned in to say "I didn't want to compromise us by screwing it up." I throw him into chair. "You were going to know sooner or later, I had too tell you regardless." His nose was bleeding. He struggles to get up, but as I offer help he pushes me away. He adjusts himself to sit up and speak. "Ya know, I want to be done with this worrying shit." I look over at him and ask "Once this is all over, will we be over?" He wheezes, "Yes." I adjustmy coat and tie and head out the door. Maybe later I can smile.

I head to a local restaurant to get a bite to eat. I walk in, grab the newspaper and pick a seat. This beautiful brunette waitress in blue denim jeans that hug to the thighs, glides to my table. Without even looking up this gift from God asks if I am ready to order. I tell her I'll take some pancakes with a side dish of sun side eggs. She looks up to confirm the order. Her eyes are a soft hazel. It was like running through a field on a clear blue sunny day. The door jingles as The Creeper and Santa Claws move in and grab table. The angel waitress moves to their table. They hardly notice she's there. Luckily, I'm close enough to hear.
"You got the money, Creep?"

"You have the letters, Sir?" A small envelope slides from Creeper to Santa Claws, while numerous letters slide to the Creeper.

"Ya know Creep,I'm Glad this is the end of the deal. Why doesn't your boss deal with me directly? Huh? Why can't Chuck bring his ass down instead of being some hot shot bitch? He ain't no Obi Scat Cat."

"Mr. Santa Claws, however Chuck handles his business is between him and those he works with. You know better than I do that our great leader Chuck is a busy man. One last thing, never bring up Obi Scat Cat, you know that upsets him." Santa gets up from the table.

"What is he? your Goddamn Jesus, or somethin'?" Santa says in confusion. The Creeper voice readies with anger."No...He is the future, sir." The Creeper doesn't make eye contact. The waitress places a plate of grilled cheese and bowl of tomato soup down before the Creeper. He doesnt look up to acknowledge her thoughtful service. Santa shrugs his head and leaves out the door. The angel waitress appears to my table with my order. "Will that be all sir?" She sings to me. I look at her carefully, losing myself to the thought of the heavens."Could you be so kind to bring my check?" Her smile lights up the room. "Right away sir." I keep my eye on the Creeper, curious as to which envelopes he has. The meal is delicious. "Your check, sir." I reply in aww to essence,"Thank you ma'am." I tip her well and make way for the Creepers table. He gets startled when I sit in the seat across from him.
"Creeper! What Brings you to this fine dining?" I throw my arms open as if showcasing the building to him.
"Hello, Sir. The uh, same reason your here I guess, for the fine food and the fine service. What brings you to my table?" The Creeper is anxious to veer away from suspicion.
"I happened to notice that you and Santa were here enjoying a meal. Care to discuss the fine details with me?" I leaned towards him, using my hands to hold my head. I pull a cig from my inside pocket and light it. I exhale the smoke in his face, "What, Scats got your tongue? Or maybe it's Chuck?" Creeper rose up in anger, ready to storm out. "You don't want to leave..." I open up my coat just slightly so he can see the handle of the heat. He sits back down and quickly looks away."What, sir, is it that you want from me?" He starts peering out the window anxiously. I jump the gun knowing that time is limited. "I want those envelopes you have and I want some answers." He looks at me then back out the window. "Regardless of what I tell you, it's too late." I respond,"Too late for what?" He looks at me deeply, "Chuck already has the rest of them, and thats all I am going to say. Now if you'll excuse me, I have business to tend to." I get up so I am face to face with him. "That is all your going to say." I quiet him with a silenced heat. I slowly lay him in the seat and swiftly take the envelopes from his pockets. I make my way out the door and start walking towards the downtown area. I lit up a stick and head towards Santa's workshop. As I'm walking, Chuck and his gang cart by me heading towards the Restaurant. They move so fast they don't even notice me walking. That makes me smile.

I make a mad dash towards Santa's workshop, checking my nines along the way. I burst through the door only to be greeted by a bottom feeder employee, Johnny Shambalooza coming out from the office. "You aren't supposed to be in here!" He comes at me unarmed. Frustrated I respond,"Fucking Shit JOHNNY!" and I knock him out with the butt of my gun. I dash to the office and low and behold theres a woman tied to a chair and blind folded. She screaming at the top of her lungs, but her voice is muffled with a duct taped sock. I rip the sock out of her mouth and untie her from the chair. Her hands and feet are bound together. I throw her onto my shoulder and head out the office. The door burst open and its Santa Claws accompanied by Chuck and his gang. I don't have time to talk. I run the other way up the stairs. They follow close chasing and shooting at me. We reach the top floor only to find our exit is to go out the window and onto oncoming traffic or go out with them and hope hell is as warm as they say. As far as she's concerned, we only have one way out. I can hear the feet get to the top of stairs. I take a few steps back. Chuck shouts from behind me "IT ENDS TONIGHT!" I make a mad dash and we fly through the window. I position myself so that when we hit bottom, she'll land on me. It's just like the books. It seems so slow. You have the time in the world to fall.
BAM
God must like her a lot. We land in a garbage truck. A few moments pass and then the scream of a lifetime. The woman finally realized what might have just happened. I don't have time to remove her blind fold. I grab her and jump out of the truck as soon as it stops. I run with her on my shoulder. I run till the blood becomes acid. Till the shoulders are weak. I run till my legs collapse from under me. I fall throwing her forward. We happen to be at Scats place. He comes running out the door."What the Hell is going on? Who is this you got tied up laying on my lawn?" Before I can catch my breathe she speaks. "Scattie Cat, is that you?" Her voice was sweet and subtle. He collapsed to the ground."April, is that..."He removes her blind fold. He freezes, starring deep into her eyes. I pull myself up. "We dont have time to play remember who. They want it all and all is both of you gone." Just then a fast moving car turns the corner a few blocks down. I grab Scats and thrust him up,"Scats! two blocks west a man in a white house with a garage, is a man called Newbie. Go there tell him you two are my brother and sister. Tell him I need you to borrow his car for me and pick me up. When you get the car, you go. You go till the gas is fucking gone, till the sign says "Somewhere Else"." He looks at me in confidence and asks "Will you honor our deal?" I look at him and nod in agreement. "Hurry they're coming!" He quickly unties her and they run like hell. I walk into the door and tell the cats to leave and go home. I lock the doors and shut the windows. I grab as much ammo as I can and ready the house for war. Like rain, the men come pouring through the door. They come barging through the doors and windows. I kill as many as I can but soon the ammo runs out while they do not. Bullets rip through my shield of a table. Finally the gunfire takes me down to my knees. More shots to the chest. I can't even move anymore. Chuck stands above me and motions for two men to pick me up. He asks "WHERE IS HE!?" I just smile. I use all the strength left and start kicking. Soon the two men can't handle me. A third comes and whacks me till the lights turn off in my head. All I could do was smile.

I was tied to a chair in a room with only one light. The light was right above me. I was wearing my usual fancy tie, no shirt, suit coat, hole infested blue jeans mixed with the occasional blood splatter stain every time the two brutes hit me. They wanted answers and all I did was smile. Each time they would ask a question I would pull my head up and smile a pretty blood gushing smile. Then the two fucking brutes would look at each other, then me, then start punching again. Yes I'm fucking insane. Yes I have lost my mind. They want me to speak, and all I want to do is smile.

No comments: